In fantasy sports, which has become a multi-billion dollar industry, couch potatoes divvy up the best players across a particular pro league, distributing them across a make-believe league of (usually) 8 to 12 teams, creating a league full of nothing but all-stars and almost all-stars, for the most part.
What if we applied that structure to Smash Bros.?
Consider this, if you will, an addendum or appendix to the previous post, an exercise in wish fulfillment. Taking away licensing rights and copyright protection and all that jazz, if a games company were able to publish a mascot brawler featuring only the 20 greatest characters across all of video game history, what would that roster look like
Perhaps something like this:
(Editor’s Note: Before we begin, we should explain that in this space a great gaming character is one that is A. in a great game, B. easily recognizable, and C. has personality. Personality goes a long way.)
- Mario – Obviously.
- Pac-Man – Obviously.
- Donkey Kong – Some may dispute his placement at 3rd. Ignore the number, though; wherever he lands, he makes the list.
- Pikachu – The face of a global phenomenon.
- Lara Croft – Her arrival announced to the world that gaming had grown up… or that it had at least hit puberty.
- Red – The original Angry Bird heralded in the transition of mobile into a legitimate gaming platform. (Yes, it is.)
- Steve – One hundred million Minecraft players can’t all be wrong.
- Sonic the Hedgehog – The only remaining remnant of Sega’s once mighty empire.
- Link – The Legend of Zelda‘s silent hero.
- Master Chief – Halo‘s silent hero.
- Scorpion – Get over here!
- Ryu – Hadoken!
- Ash Ketchum – There’s 100 other Pokemon that could be listed; instead, here’s the guy who caught them all.
- Cloud Strife – Final Fantasy VII‘s silent hero.
- Solid Snake – The template for any worthwhile Metal Gear protagonist, clone or not, is Solid Snake.
- Luigi – Yes, he rides in on his brother’s coattails. But what impressive coattails they are.
- Samus Aran – She should probably be higher than this.
- Q-Bert – @!#?@!
- Gordon Freeman – Half-Life‘s silent hero.
- Spyro the Dragon – His namesake game made him famous; Skylanders made him infamous.
The assumption, of course, is that you disagree.